It’s been raining since Wednesday, as if something bad is happening in Heaven, and all the angels are crying. I love rain. Gloomy – with a chance of good nap time. However, as much as I love rain, I have to admit that I detest driving in the rain. Somehow the image of car spinning or accident keeps playing in my mind. Thankfully, I’ve never been in a car accident, but I’ve witnessed so many accidents; including roll over car. So, I was so stressed out when I had to drive hubs to the city on a rainy Saturday morning. I could sense my blood pressure went up as I drove under heavy rain. I should have stayed under my blanket with hot cocoa, instead. But, that’s love.
I love rain. Gloomy – with a chance of something soupy to keep me warm. Just like this lobster bisque, inspired by Bobby Flay. Our theme this week includes Celebrity Chef; hence you’ll see many familiar names below. I have so many favorites and it’s so hard to just pick one, and this dish is one of my favorites – perfect for rainy days. So, who is your favorite celebrity chef?
Lobster Chowder with Roasted Corn Salsa
- 4 (1½-pound) lobsters, steamed
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 cups large-diced unpeeled Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 medium Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups fresh corn, roasted
- 4 cups lobster stock, or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ finely chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
- Remove the claw from the lobsters. Carefully crack the claws, and remove the meat in one piece if you can. Remove the tail meat and chop it into 1-inch chunks. Set the lobster aside in the refrigerator. Coarsely chop the shells and reserve.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, bell pepper, celery, and cook for 30 seconds. Raise the heat to high, add the wine, potato, and lobster shells, and cook until the wine has completely reduced. Add the 4 cups lobster stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the broth into a bowl, discard the shells, and return the broth to the pot.
- Add 1 cup of the toasted corn kernels, sweet paprika, and cook until the corn is just tender, 15 minutes. Transfer the soup to a blender, in batches, and puree until smooth. Strain into a clean saucepan and bring to a simmer. Stir in the remaining 1 cup roasted corn kernels and cook for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the heavy cream in a medium saucepan, bring it to a simmer over medium heat, and cook until reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add the reduced cream to the chowder and simmer for 5 minutes. If the chowder appears too thick, add additional stock or water to thin it slightly.
- Add the reserved chopped lobster meat, season with salt and pepper, and stir in the chopped parsley. Ladle the chowder into bowls and top each one with parsley.
Inspired by Bobby Flay.
Starters or Snacks :
- Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog - Oyster and Brie Soup and Wine Pairings for Celebrity Chef #SundaySupper
- Erin from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts - Rachael Ray’s Cinnamon Popcorn
- Cindy over at Cindy’s Recipes and Writings - Jamie Oliver’s Bread and Tomato Soup
- Jeff at The Catholic Foodie - Drop Biscuits – Breakfast with Chef John Besh
- Renee over at Kudos Kitchen By Renee - Giada De Laurentiis’ Garlic Toasts With Red Pepper Aioli
The Main Dish:
- Sheila at Cooking Underwriter – Paula Deen’s Chicken in a Crock Pot w/ Sauerkraut and Apples
- Laura over at Small Wallet Big Appetite – Martin Yan’s Beef Chow Fun
- Claire at The Realistic Nutritionist – Alton Brown’s 40 Cloves and a Chicken
- Sarah over at Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends - Michael Symon’s Lola burger with crab tater tots
- Susan at The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen - Ina Garten’s Baked Shrimp Scampi
- Katy over at Happy Baking Days - Mary Berry’s Treacle Tart
- Tammi at Momma’s Meals – Lee Drummond’s Sloppy Joe’s
- Lane over at Supper for a Steal - Bobby Flay’s Rosemary Bricked Chicken
- Tara from Noshing with the Nolands - Michael Symon’s Pork and Apple Scallopini
- Shannon at Country Girl in the Village – Simple Red Sauce over Rigatoni. Inspired by, Debi Mazar and Gabriele Corcos
- Kris over at In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene - Rachael Ray’s Muffin Tin Meatloaf
- Nicole from The Daily Dish Recipes - Paula Deen’s Slow Cooker Pulled Pickled Pork Sandwiches
- Becca from It’s Yummilicious - Ina Garten’s Grown Up Mac & Cheese
- Alice at Hip Foodie Mom - Sunday Pot Roast with Risotto Cakes from Kelsey Nixon
- Jen over at Juanita’s Cocina - The Neely’s White Turkey Chili
- Brianne from Cupcakes & Kale Chips - Crockpot Beef Pot Roast with Mushrooms inspired by Giada DeLaurentiis
- Isabel at Family Foodie - Polenta with Garlicky Shrimp inspired by Chef Todd English
- Wendy from The Weekend Gourmet - Shrimp Penne in Pesto Cream Sauce, From Emeril Lagasse
- Bobbi over at Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen - Cheesy Poblano Chicken
- Patti at Comfy Cuisine - Tyler Florence’s Chicken Francese
- Chris from Sustainable Dad - Pork Tenderloin with Jerusalem Artichokes and Negroni Vinaigrette
- Roxanne over at The Roxx Box - Jambalaya Pasta with Penne, Chicken, Shrimp and Andouille
- Sue from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz – Rachael Ray’s Spicy Corn Chowdah Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- Jamie at Mama Mommy Mom - Penne with Asparagus, Smoked Gouda and Prosciutto. Adapted from, Giada De Laurentiis’
- Tora over at Tora’s Real Food – Pork and beans with Alton Brown’s pickled pork
- Elizabeth over at The Hand That Rocks The Ladle - Emeril’s New Orleans Style Red Beans & Rice
- Megan from I Run For Wine - Curtis Stone’s Acorn Squash Roasted with Thyme
- Sandi over at Midlife Road Trip - Gabriele Corcos’s Gnocchi di Patate
- Shelby at Diabetic Foodie - Orange Pecan Black Rice, adapted from Ina Garten
- Katie from She likes Ruffles, He likes Truffles - Chef Fabio Viviani’s Spinach and Artichoke Risotto
- Kim over at Cravings of a Lunatic - Chocolate Cream Puffs with Hazelnut Filling
- Renee over at Magnolia Days – Brownie Tart
- Connie at The Foodie Army Wife - Inspired by Ree Drummond – Scrumptious Apple Coffee Cake
- Paula over at Vintage Kitchen Notes - Bill Granger´s Cherry Tart
- Pam from The Meltaways – Savannah Sheet Cake
- Amber at Mama’s Blissful Bites - Huggy Buggy Bread Pudding
- Jaime over at Mom’s Test Kitchen - Southern Tea Cakes
- Amy over at Kimchi MOM - Crack Pie, I Can’t Quit You
- Lyn from The Lovely Pantry - Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Squares
- Melanie at From Fast Food to Fresh Food – Sand Tarts
- Martin at ENOFYLZ Wine Blog